Monday, April 18, 2016

From Earth to Cyborg And Back ....

This is the second time I have written this post.  The first time I was about a quarter of the way through and realized I am missing the point.  Or at least I am missing the point in which I want to make.  I know I am not making any sense.  Let me then allow you to delete mentally the paragraph you just read and start over, just as I have just done.  

Emerging Technology can be looked at like the word tomato; there are always two ways to see it.  What one person thinks is emerging tech another may view it as a waste.  Nowhere else is more evident than at NASA.  (Yes, here I go again talking about NASA).  The Space Program has invested billions of dollars into emerging technology that ultimately has failed, nothing has come of that particular item, however, because one thing failed another could emerge from its ruin, yes like a phoenix rising from the ashes.  Emerging technology from NASA created the Technology Transfer Program, ultimately NASA’s  Program that brings "Space down to Earth"(NASA, 2016). It is a way to see some of the birth places our modern day marvels: cell phones, 3D printers, robotic prosthetic limbs and countless other items.



With the concept of sharing is caring that it seems NASA has embraced (when it can) we can look at NASA's Technology Transfer Program as part of the knowledge networks Weinberger (2011) discusses.  NASA historically has helped the private and earth sector with technology, however in 1964; the Technology Transfer Program was officially put into place by a congressional mandate (NASA, 2016).  This program or mission was to open officially up access to private technology sectors could utilize (Weinberger, 2011; NASA, 2016).  Other aspects of NASA's longest running mission is to help teach others about technology, link everything and provide intelligence and connectivity, all of the aspects of Weinberger's' knowledge networks.  Even though many people look at NASA as being a top secret government entity, the developments and emerging technologies that evolve from this program not only assist in moving society forward but also allowing other elements in society to gain more connectivity. 

AUTHORS NOTE:  The above was part of my original post.  This week I suffered some impressive technological setbacks.  It is exciting about technology its development and wonder.  For the last half of my career, I have bet my livelihood on the development, advancement and the growth of emerging technology.  My entire career at Apple was launched on the elaboration of the iPad, and I happen to be on the team that was chosen to develop it to become a usable tool for classrooms.  I use technology probably more than most people.  However, this past week my life was severely slowed by technology and the hiccups of relying on such technology.  I wanted to talk about Google Glass in my original post. However, there was not an easy way to connect it to what my point was, so I will make my point here.  Google Glass, however, new and neat it is, was just that, new and neat.  My pair of Google Glass were fantastic; I probably wore them everywhere for the first week.  Not because they were useful or made things easier, but because I had them and others didn't.  Did they live up to the hype, sort of?  The search mechanism was fantastic, however the features were ultimately limited.   I rarely use anymore.  However, no fear they do not just sit in my drawer and collect dust.  I went to a costume party a year ago and wore them as part of my cyborg costume. 

Reference

NASA. (2016). Spinoff.  Retrieved from https://spinoff.nasa.gov/about.html

Weinberger, D. (2011). Too big to know. New York: Basic Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment